What is NLP?
NLP is an ever-growing collection of simple processes and techniques that can enable you to improve how you think, behave and feel. They are based on observing and ‘modelling’ processes that have been found to be effective for particular conditions .NLP will enable you to:
- Do what you already do well even better.
- Acquire skills and attitudes to do what you would like to be able to do.
- Think more clearly and overcome difficult emotional issues in your life.
- Communicate more effectively.
- Manage your thoughts, moods and behaviour more effectively.
Many NLP techniques work by re-programming those parts of the brain that generate our sub-conscious thoughts, feelings and behaviour. NLP also uses models for creating excellence in what you do. It does this by studying people who are very successful in a particular area of their life and helping you to apply the same approach in your life. This includes modelling very successful therapists and successful businessmen/women.
What does NLP therapy involve?
You can learn NLP techniques to use in your own life by going to various NLP short courses. This can be very beneficial as many of the techniques are fairly easy to learn and to use. You can also consult a qualified NLP practitioner to help you through a difficult change in your life, or to overcome specific emotional or psychological problems.
NLP will help you develop more successful attitudes and approaches to life experiences. These include:
- Focussing on outcomes.
- Developing new initiatives in your life.
- Anchoring your own positive emotional states so that you can access these at times when you are upset or under stress.
- Overcoming fears and phobias.
- Reducing the impact that past traumas may be having on your life.
- Learning how to listen to people more effectively.
- Improving the way you relate to other people.
- Developing empowering attitude and beliefs.
A practitioner will help you clarify what it is you would like to change in your life and help you to establish clear intentions and outcomes for achieving these changes. She will explain to you the techniques she intends to use and what you can expect from the therapy sessions.
What conditions does NLP help?
These are some of the conditions where NLP will be useful:
- No sense direction in life.
- Low self-esteem and lack of confidence.
- Mild depression.
- Anxiety and panic attacks.
- Problems with exams, driving test etc.
- Eating disorders.
- Addictive behaviour.
- Obsessive disorders.
- Outbursts of anger.
Is NLP safe?
You can use NLP techniques on your self for minor problems and to improve you communication skills. For more serious conditions, you should consult a qualified practitioner and continue with any medical treatment you are receiving.